Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!


January 2, 2007

Oh wait, that’s just my hair! Its official folks, my hair is falling out. For all of you wishful thinkers out there who said, “Maybe yours won’t fall out.” I appreciate the optimism, but what in our history together made you think mine wouldn’t fall out? Of course it’s going to fall out!

I’ve got to tell you, it’s really weird too. I was told that it falls out in clumps but I did not know what that would look like. Well, it looks like clumps. About 10 – 20 hairs in a clump. My favorite feature about hair falling out in clumps is that it gets tangled up with the hairs still clinging to scalp at the very end so it looks like a really bad extension job.
So I’ll be walking around with normal looking hair and in one spot there will this extra long hair, trailing down my back. And when I say my hair is falling out, I mean all of it.

I purposely didn’t shave my legs for a week so I could tell when my hair falls out. Yup, you can tell. Underarms, same thing. And I am very happy about the arm pit hair going. Before surgery, I had nice flat surfaces to shave, after surgery, one flat surface, one Rocky Mountain surface. When ever I shave the Rocky Mountain side, I can’t get one little tuft of hair so it looks like I have a baby troll stuck underneath my arm. I’ll be glad when that hair falls out.

Also I am hoping that the chin hairs fall out too. For those of you not old enough to get chin hairs yet. Surprise! You will. But at least your eye sight will be failing at the same time and K-Mart lighting won’t be bright enough for you to pluck them. There’s a reason for all of those Day Spa’s with young girls and good eyesight you know.

I am not so sad about my hair falling out; I know it will grow back. Everyone keeps telling me that it will come back dark and curly. Great, add wiry to that description and I will have pubic hair on my head. And if my eyebrows fall out and the hair comes back dark and curly then I can get a gig selling juice makers on TV.

My plan was to cut my pony tail off and then shave my hair into a Mohawk. I’ve never had one before and think they’re pretty cool. Back in college when a Mohawk would have fit in, I was too chicken to get one. Well that and it was the 80’s and I was pushing maximum density of the hair. And my parents would have strangled me. Now that I am 40 and not as cool as I once was, I’m pretty sure my boss would want to strangle me if I had one. Since my hair is falling out at a rapid pace, I will have a very small window of time to have a Mohawk. A couple of day’s maybe. A chunky one. Ha!

I will more than likely be going for the shave this weekend, pending how I feel after chemo. I have high hopes because they are changing my anti nausea meds. So. Who wants to go wig and / or scarf shopping? I know Paula is in for scarf shopping. And I need a nice soft hat too, so my little bald head won’t get cold. Next week in the evenings will be best for me so let me know.

Enjoy your hair while you have it and be nice to it. JR will have an updated picture of me holding the hair that fell out this morning on our blog later today. If you haven’t looked at it yet it’s http://jensbreastcancerfight.blogspot.com/. Happy New Year and have a fabulous day. Don’t go changing on me!

Love to you all!

Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen!! you crack me up! And i was SO amused hearing them talk about ur blog on the radio.. i even tape recorded it on my old ghetto boom box.

Anyways- i wanted to say that i BETTER see this mohawk! However, I think a mullet would give the mohawk a run for its money... Maybe stef and i will cut mullets in your honor!

Liz said...

I don't know you, but i my self is getting checked out for brest cancer. i am only 20, and a bit scared about it. I am glad that there is someone that has a sence of humor about it. Thanks for the incouragement.

Anonymous said...

Laughter is the best medicine to get through is keep it up, I've been there 17 years ago. When I lost my hair that was so hard, now no matter what my hair looks like I NEVER have a bad hair day! With radiation that lttle troll will be gone, if I would have known radiation did that I would have had my legs radiated also. Best of luck to you.