Friday, January 5, 2007

Chemo #2 - Hair Update


Hi Everyone,

I promise to keep this short and sweet. Yesterday I had Chemo #2. As you know the first one really kicked my butt so the plan was to change the anti nausea meds this time around. The short version is they worked…...so far. I received a shot that holds off nausea for 5 days called Aloxi. I wish they had pulled that trick in the bag out a little sooner. They also switched my Kytril prescription with Emend, I take it while I receive chemo and for two days afterward. So far so good. And they added Decadron in a pill form for three days too, it helps the Emend to work better. This in addition to the Compazine and Atavan. If all this can’t keep the nausea under control then they have more drastic measures to help. I won’t mention what those are unless I have to go there. They do not sound pleasant.

Also on the radar is my hair situation. My friend Christine came over after work to cut my hair into a Mohawk as I requested. As she was cutting, she formed my hair into a pretty cute cut so I did not go as far as the Mohawk but trust me, this weekend I will have one. My hair is still falling out rapidly and mostly it’s just a pain in the neck to deal with. Literally. This morning when I woke up my back was all itchy from the hair falling down the shirt of my man jammies and sticking to my back. For a second I thought I looked like the furry guy in the hot tub on the Carnival Valor 2006 cruise trip. But at least he was pasty white too, so that was a good look.

A quick shower took care of that hair plus another bunch of hair. It’s more annoying than upsetting so don’t feel bad for me that it’s falling out. At this point I’m looking forward to being bald. Oh, and all of those who thought I was a light brown with blonde highlights kind of gal, not so much. My hair is as dark as you can imagine. Who knew? I’ve been coloring it so long even I had no idea!

I showed JR how much hair came out when I brushed it yesterday and he put it on top of his head like Donald Trump, it was a riot. We should have taken a picture of it. That was the defining moment for me to cut my hair short, plus when your hair falls out it is really itchy! OK, I think that is it for now. Thank you for listening and for your thoughts and prayers, I appreciate your love and support very much. Have a fabulous day!

All my love,

Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
You are so fabulous. I am so proud to call you my sister. I LOVE LOVE your hair. I am so glad that this chemo was a better then the first. If any one can kick cancer ass it is you. Doesn't it know that you are a taurus and you don't mess with the bull? Oh it will soon find out!!!

Love one of your favorite sistors!

JoAnne

Monday Came said...

I love the hair cute you hot little momma. You're always in my prayers Jen! Hammer

KermitFan said...

It's definiely cute hair, Jen.

Much like you, I'm not really sure what my natural hair color is... it's supposed to be a surprise, right?