Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gratitude and Roller Coaster Rides

Hi Everyone,

First let me start this note with this…..YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!! I can not thank you enough for the calls, letters, cards, e-mails and personal visits. You overwhelm me with your support, encouragement and prayers. You collectively gave me exactly what I needed to get past all the emotions I have been feeling. Thank you so much for that. I wish I could share with you the lessons you taught me this past couple of weeks but even I can’t write that much. ☺ You gave me hope, encouragement, permission, purpose, perspective, information and a good old fashioned ass whooping. All of which was just what the Dr. ordered. Thank you!

I mentioned in my last blog that I was scheduled for a PET / CT scan last week. We got the test results back and things are looking really good. First, the blood work came back with very good news. If you remember I have a regular test called the CA 27.29 which is a tumor marker test. Normal ranges are between 0 – 35 and when this whole thing started over I tested at a 79. My test result came back a 31, and that is one of the lowest results I’ve gotten in a long time. So yeah on that test.

Second, my PET / CT scan indicates that “most” of the cancer is gone on L3 and L5. I don’t know what “near complete interval resolution of what was abnormal metabolic activity” technically means but it sounds really good to me. Dr. Bowers said that I will have another PET / CT scan in 3 months to see if the lesions have been reduced further. She said that these results are better than even she expected them to be and credited the Zometa treatments to the reduction in the lesions.

This Zometa thing is really becoming a big deal in the treatment of cancer. Some recent studies have shown it to reduce not only cancer in bone but early indicators suggest it prevents it from coming back in tissue too. I like the sounds of that. Dr. Bowers also told me that breast cancer that metastasizes in bone does not usually go else where. I like the sound of that too.

So that is my update for the time being. We are going to keep our fingers crossed that this will keep shrinking and I won’t have new lesions develop elsewhere. Again, thank you all for your support, you will never know how much you helped me. Take care, God bless and have a great day!

Love to you all,

Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is most excellent news and well-deserved for a wonderful woman who is so feisty and full of life.

Congrats Jen!! Call me when you get back from Mexico. I want to see you!

Jules Colonna

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am so glad things are looking up for you.Keep up the good work. It is okay to be down in the dumps. The important thing is to pick your self up and keep fighting. Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

I happened on this blog by accident but read most of your posts. You sound like a wonderful person and I am currently going through much of what you've been through, so thanks so much for your reports. (My husband offered to shave his head too, but he doesn't have much left, so I suggested that he keep it!) I will bookmark this and come back to see how you are doing!