Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Radiation and Zometa

December 2, 2008


Hi Everyone,

I’ll make this one short and sweet. Yesterday afternoon I had my first dose of Zometa and radiation therapy. We met with Dr. Bowers to make sure nothing was going to change from the original treatment path that was laid out for us last week. The last thing I wanted to hear was “And after radiation, we’re going to start you on chemo”. It may be an option down the line but right now it is not. Thank God.

So my treatment path will be this; Three weeks of radiation every day, followed up with Zometa once every three weeks until Dr. Bowers says otherwise. She said that there have been some people on this drug for years. I’m OK with that, I like strong bones. I do not have to get a port again to receive Zometa and it does not destroy veins like chemo does. The worst side effects can be slight nausea, flu like symptoms and achy bones. I actually did have a little nausea when we got home and woke up with aches this morning. Sleep and Advil took care of those.

Radiation was probably the easiest thing I did all day yesterday. I did have to get some new marks before we started though. Dr. Schwartz, the radiation oncologist, after further review of CT scans and X-Rays decided instead of just treating me from the back to treat me from both the front and the back. They need to mark you with small tattoos so they can line up the radiation beam the same every day. So they gave me three marks last week and then yesterday I got another five. They are very small and look like little black moles. No big deal and yes they are permanent.

After that I went into the radiation room and laid on the table, they lined me up and zapped me twice. It didn’t feel like anything was happening, I just laid there and was done within five minutes. It was all very X-Ray like. Not that I’m complaining but after the last treatment path I was expecting something a little more invasive this time around.

Apparently the radiation will keep working for another eight weeks after treatment is complete. That’s pretty cool. I will also start a different hormone drug. In addition to radiation and Zometa, bone responds very well to hormone therapy drugs. Dr. Bowers took me off of the Tamoxifen last week, one, because it’s obviously not working for me and two, it’s causing me some issues with my uterine walls which could eventually turn cancerous. The news just keeps getting better doesn’t it?

So that’s really about it. I will be done with radiation before Christmas and I’ll keep getting the Zometa for an indeterminate time. Hormone therapy will probably start after the New Year. I will keep you all posted and will update my blog as things progress. Again, thank you all for your words of encouragement and prayers, they are both very helpful and much appreciated. God bless!
Love to you all!

Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I'm am so sorry for your setback. The determination and courage you are showing, is inspirational.
You are in my thoughts, and prayers,
Jeff Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
It's Elizabeth & Allen Bacskay in Huntsville. We just wanted you to know we are thinking of you during the holidays and praying that all is going well with your treatment plan. Mom and Dad keep us posted but it's so nice to keep up with your blog! Merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years...2009!